Thursday, October 16, 2008

What I Wish I Knew When I Was 20

Quite an interesting title for a blog, isn't it? The credit should go to my mentor who forwarded me a mail to go through the video with the title 'What I Wish I Knew When I Was 20' in the net.

This is an interesting lecture by Tina Seelig in the Stanford Technology Ventures Program. The title it self is so catchy that it almost instantly asked me to play the video. Thanks to him for forwarding, it was a very good learning and at the same time made me think, if i lost something in my life just because I did not know some points, when I was 20. Yes I did loose my good 5 years, not entirely though.

These five years have changed me to a person who is mature but I think I could have made more out of it IF..... I know, these ifs and buts don't make sense now. Its not too late either.

The striking point in the lecture was 'Importance of networking'. I think I was almost illiterate in this sense. I was person who was of the thought that, life is all about myself and most importantly the fact that I liked isolation ;almost made me a person to be a very very very small LAN, can say almost no connections(other than family ).

I realise the importance now and feel that the world is essentially small and you never know when u need some one. Its not in the career perspective but even for the development of one self you need people, I remember the line form my school text book 'Man is a social Animal'.

Yeah, I know that it will take some time for me to see the world in this new perspective.

The point in lecture which brought the smile on my lips was the one with the title 'Be Fabulous'. Wow the title tells it all and most importantly never miss an opportunity to be fabulous. So true.

'Career Advice: Don't Wait to be Anointed' was something which one needs to have in his/her attitude. And I think If we develop this attitude there will not be any cribs, disappointments or demotivations in this software world.

The only point I don't agree to her is 'The harder you work the luckier you get". Somehow I am not in terms with this line. I do believe in miracles, so you never know when I would say the above point is true.

Do try to spend some time watching, 'http://ecorner.stanford.edu/authorMaterialInfo.html?mid=1466'

Happy reading!!

No comments: